Well, I have just been nominated for a Liebster award, and yes I had to Google what that was. Don’t get me wrong, I have done my research and I am aware that it’s not the Pulitzer Prize… Regardless, I genuinely feel honoured that someone has noticed my words, and they have resonated enough to stick in their memory.
I would like to say a massive thank you to The Bold Bluebonnet for the nomination, while I am not 100% sure on the rules, I believe they are fairly fluid and open to interpretation – you nominate X number of blogs, answer what your nominator suggested you answer, and then similarly propose a challenge for the bloggers you have chosen to nominate.
I don’t want to turn this into a car crash of a chain-blog, so fuck it – you can search it out and follow the prescripted rules, or make it up as you go along, or just simply take it as me saying “Hey, you guys are doing an awesome job!” and then read some more of the shit I write at the bottom of this post.
Without further ado, I would like to nominate the following blogs that I follow personally for being genuinely entertaining and worthy of your time;
The Hard Times – funny, sharp, vibrates on my wavelength.
Roswell Ivory – who doesn’t love a beautiful, smart, thoughtful redhead, right??
How To Be Myself – Jillian is awesome and I feel somewhat of a kindred spirit
ThorNews – Yeah, so I get a lady-boner for Scandinavian stuff, deal with it.
Life: A Scot in Norway – Norway, and Bergen in particular, is a place that captured my heart, and this blog is a way to relive it.
Lisa’s Project: Vegan – a recent addition to my interesting blogs, but one that really supports a lot of the things I have been doing with my life recently.
#Better Be A Hit – a young man who is living my dream! Give it back Aaron, damn you!
Pineapple Sage – say hi to Chris who is a thoroughly lovely human being, on a level I simply am not capable of.
I was asked to answer an open-ended number of responses to the question “If you could sit down with a version of yourself from a decade ago, what would you tell them?” Well, holy shit. Where exactly am I supposed to start?? Here goes;
- Trust your gut, not your mind. Your subconscious self is always being honest with you even if your conscious self isn’t, so when something doesn’t sit right, doesn’t feel right, listen.
- Spend your time with people who value you for the same reasons that you value yourself. Go where you are celebrated, not tolerated (I wish I could claim responsibility for that quote, but I can’t.)
- Whilst good natured piss-taking is the backbone of any worthwhile human relationship, anyone who genuinely belittles you or sneers at you for anything you do or have done is deliberately trying to make you feel bad about who you are, or who you were. Fuck that, and fuck them. That’s bullying, and that is not acceptable.
- The people who you can choose to spend your life with should not make your life hard, or unhappy. If they do, you have made the wrong choice.
- You are allowed to make wrong choices. You are fallible because you are not a machine; you are subject to a brain that works on chemical reactions and historical experience. If you made a wrong choice, that does not make you a bad person, nor does it make you stupid; it simply makes you an actual human. Following on from that…
- You are allowed to walk away from a relationship or situation that makes you unhappy. You do not have to give a logical and detailed explanation, showing your workings. Being miserable is a perfectly valid reason to leave.
- You are shit at managing money. Accept it, own it. Go hungry/without beer/without holidays rather than get credit cards and loans. They genuinely are going to be one of the biggest regrets in your life.
- No-one else is necessarily right about how to live life, especially yours. Examine what you are doing and why. Life, mortgage, job, relationship, smoking, drinking – keep checking in with yourself to make sure that it is truly what you want, and not just want you think you should have.
That’s 8 points for 8 great blogs. Cheers, writing types!